Health & Safety Assistant
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To work under the direction of the Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) Officers, completing assigned tasks according to priority, ensuring the company’s Health, Safety & Environmental system is maintained to a high standard.
- To regularly carry out checks, monitor & update records and assist with audits to monitor compliance with HSE requirements, including training, health surveillance, fire safety, energy usage, vehicles, noise, PPE etc.
- To assist in the review of current H&S risk assessments, develop and undertake basic risk assessments following training e.g. manual handling, COSHH etc.
- To assist in drafting, organising and delivery of employee training to fulfil HSE requirements, including induction, risk assessments, Safe Systems of Work, external provider training and Tool Box talks
- To assist the HSE Officers in the investigation of near misses, dangerous occurrences and accidents, whilst independently dealing with minor incidents following training.
- To take the lead for the ordering, storage and issuing of PPE & RPE to employees and keeping stock organised in the internal stores.
- To collate information necessary for assessments and development of procedures e.g. safety data sheets, user guides, manuals, manufacturer instructions, employee information, photographs, posters etc.
- To respond to employee questions or concerns about potential safety, environmental and health problems and discuss suggestions for improvements with the HSE Officers.
- To obtain necessary documents from contractors required for HSE and maintain accurate records.
- To gather data and complete all aspects of HSE administration tasks ensuring records are updated.
- To obtain and produce appropriate communication material, including signage and posters.
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of HSE regulations, standards and guidance.
- Any other duties, within reason and capability, as agreed with the HSE Officers/Senior Managers.
|Qualifications/Attainments||• Secondary education to Advanced Level||• University/College degree graduate in a related discipline|
|Relevant Knowledge & Experience||• A working knowledge of Health &Safety requirements||• Previous experience in implementing HSE procedures in a manufacturing environment|
|Skills and Competencies||• Strong organisational, planning & time management skills • Good communication skills, both oral and written • Ability to motivate & influence • Proficient IT skills • Positive attitude, approachable and a desire to make improvements|